Webber® Inferencing Big Deck
Webber® Inferencing Big Deck
By Sharon G. Webber, Rynette Kjesbo, M.S., CCC-SLP and Natalie Dahl, M.S., CCC-SLP
Grades K & Up
Ages 5 & Up
- We Accept Purchase Orders!
- Fully Secured SSL Checkout
- 30-Day Return Policy
Help students learn inferencing skills and supercharge critical thinking with these large, colourful photo cards!
The Webber® Inferencing Big Decks are designed to ignite curiosity and foster critical thinking abilities by engaging students. The high-quality photo cards depicting real-life scenarios challenge students to use deductive reasoning and encourage expressive communication.
Developed by experts in education, the Webber® Inferencing Big Deck photo cards are a versatile tool that can be tailored to various levels of proficiency, making it suitable for both beginners and advanced learners. It's not just a game; it's a journey through imagination and comprehension.
What makes these photo cards so effective at teaching critical thinking skills?
To infer means to be able to look at clues in a situation and figure out what is happening. The Webber® Big Decks present clear colour photos on one side and prompts on the back of the photo. Students draw conclusions about information not clearly stated, based on what they already know about the photos.
Inferencing Big Deck targets five topic areas:
- Associations (These items belong to...)
- Identify the Setting (Where is this?)
- Part to Whole (What is it?)
- Predicting (What happens next?)
- What Happened?
Inferencing Big Deck 2 targets an additional five topic areas:
- Emotions (How does he/she feel?)
- Jobs and Occupations (What does he/she do?)
- Time and Seasons (What time of year/season is it?)
- Actions (What is he/she doing?)
- Cause and Effect (What might happen?)
Each photo card scenario includes 6 follow-up questions to help children articulate their observations, predictions, and thoughts with precision and creativity.
To use these decks, show students the picture and ask them the first question. Then for additional inferencing and language practice, read the short story on the back of the card and ask the other five questions. Use the last question to begin a discussion with students about their opinions and feelings, or how they would handle different situations.
Who are these photo cards helpful for?
The Webber® Inferencing Big Deck photo cards target critical thinking and language development in students in grades kindergarten and up. Students and children will learn to make insightful inferences, draw conclusions, and think critically about visual clues. Perfect for the classroom or at home. Teachers, Parents, and Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) can use these photo cards in a variety of different ways to create an engaging learning environment.
Why Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs), industry professionals, and teachers love these photo cards:
- They require students to evaluate life/situations and problems
- They inspire discussions and conversations about important real-life events
- The pictures are vibrant and large
- They can be used in a variety of ways including addressing personal pronouns, possessive pronouns, WH questions, increasing mean length of utterance (MLU), and listening comprehension
- They work great, especially with kids who have autism or cognitive impairments
- Perfect for Grab and Go therapy for busy SLPs
The Webber® Inferencing Big Decks include:
- 100 cards in each set, 200 cards total in the combo
- 5" x 7" double-sided, laminated cards
- Color-coded for easy sorting
- Content and game idea cards
- Packaged in sturdy storage boxes